ACTING DIRECTOR - RAMONA PRIETO
Acting Director Ramona Prieto brings over 37 years of law enforcement experience to the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC), along with advanced education and a proven record of collaborative leadership in many areas.
In 2015, Director Prieto retired as Deputy Commissioner of the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the largest state law enforcement organization in the nation. In her position, she managed a $2 billion budget and oversaw the day-to-day operations of approximately 7200 uniformed field personnel and 3400 non-uniform civilian professionals, as well as several adjunct duties in multiple special offices.
Director Prieto has achieved numerous historical milestones in her career: She was the first female motorcycle officer, the first female Assistant Commissioner, and the first female Deputy Commissioner in CHP’s nearly 90-year history. She has over three decades of hands-on experience in seven field commands and three staff operations, working in commands throughout the state.
Director Prieto has been recognized for her innovative, result-oriented collaborative efforts every assignment and has championed such issues as: enhanced officer safety, workplace violence prevention, community involvement, and tactical and operational training. She has worked diligently to improve public safety throughout her career and has been selected to be a spokesperson for CHP at the local, regional, headquarters, and national levels.
Director Prieto has earned numerous prestigious honors and awards during her long career and has been recognized locally, state-wide, and nationally for her innovation and her dedication.
Director Prieto holds an AA degree in Administration of Justice, a BA degree in Public Administration from the University of San Francisco, and a MA degree in Leadership from St. Mary’s College, as well as a workers compensation certificate from UC Davis. Despite these accomplishments, if you were to ask, Director Prieto would tell you her most honored achievement is being the mother of five daughters, grandmother of eight grandchildren and wife of elected Sheriff of Yolo County, Ed Prieto.
- Human Trafficking Notice
- Press Releases
- Application / Selection & Forms
- Industry Advisories
- License Types / Fees
- License Query System
- Licensing Reports
- Public Records Requests
- Server Awareness (LEAD) Training
- California Highway Patrol - Designated Driver Program (DDP)
- License Application, Protest and Disciplinary Processes
- Annual Reports
- Ramona Prieto, Acting Director
- Sunshine Garside, Acting Chief Deputy Director
- Helena Williams, Acting Chief Deputy Director
- Kathleen Barnes, Chief - Southern Division
- Chris Albrecht, Chief - Northern Division
- Matthew Botting, General Counsel
- Jacob L. Rambo, Chief Counsel
- Randall Deems, Division Chief - Administration
- LaKenya M. Jordan, Director of Legislation and Governmental Affairs
- John W. Lewis, Chief Administrative Law Judge
- Joseph McCullough, Deputy Division Chief - Headquarters
- Marcie Griffin, Deputy Division Chief - Southern Division
- Eric Hirata, Deputy Division Chief - Northern Division
- Michael Korson, Deputy Division Chief - Northern Division
- Jennifer Smiley, Administrative Assistant - Office Of The Director